Saturday, April 30, 2011

For the record, how high up are we?

Those were the words I uttered to the life guard at the top of Summit Plummet before sitting down for my turn. The answer he gave me was a cool 120ft. He also informed me that it was high enough to feel free fall before you start to slow down which was really reassuring for someone like me who has little experience with water slides. I had just watched two children go down and there was a third behind me... I was going to look pretty lame if I walked away now.


Probably the face I was making...
I've been a theme park thrill seeker for much of my recent memory, yet this behemoth of a slide has been my Achilles' heel for my last three trips. Too high, too fast, no restraints... I've made all the excuses to not do it but today I was a man on a mission to confront my biggest theme park fear: the free falling water slide.

I'm the type of person who will go on anything. There is no coaster too big or ride to jolting to turn me away. If it's made of steel and you can strap me to it I'm game to try it out. That's the thing that makes this different, there is no way for me to strap in. Physics wasn't my best subject in high school and it makes me nervous to put my faith in it with no fall back plan.

I seem to have gotten a bit ahead of myself on this story though, my day didn't start at Blizzard Beach after all. It started with a four hour trip to Walmart. Yes, four hours. The lovely CP bus system which I spoke so much about at the beginning of my time here once again lived up to it's reputation. I woke up this morning desperately needing to shop because my cupboard was bare last night and the grocery fairies forgot to visit while I was asleep. Eventually my food was returned to my apartment, but with very little time to spare before I had to sprint to another bus to take me to Blizzard Beach.

After Blizzard closed I took a quick trip over to Epcot. I watched Captain EO and Oh! Canada! before returning home. It was a short trip but I was hungry and with all the food I knew was now waiting... I would live to fight another day in Epcot... like tomorrow maybe.

Yes, I did go down Summit Plummet. Yes, it was amazing. Yes, I did do it twice. It was the biggest rush I've ever had from any theme park attraction. I think I might have to try skydiving now...

Cheers,
David

Song of the day - Bloodbuzz Ohio by The National

5 comments:

  1. But most importantly, did you get a wedgie from the slide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha Your writing style is so funny =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz - Yes, or hang gliding!

    Mom - Actually I did not! Or maybe the adrenaline distracted me...

    Brittany - Thank you :-)

    Teal - You're a wimp

    ReplyDelete