Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Happy Working Song

I had my first kitchen explosion last night. I freaked out and just tossed everything I was working with in the sink, poured a bowl of cereal and went to bed. It was a combination of frustrations last night. 1) I'm owed about $20 still by two of my roommates for supplies I bought the night we moved in. 2) Those kitchen supplies are running low especially paper towels which we currently own none. 3) Random bits of my food keep "mysteriously" disappearing but I have an idea who's eating/drinking it. Last, and maybe the final straw last night: 4) the butter.


When I got up yesterday I knew I was getting low on food and would have to buy some this week. I also knew that Disney sold some of the basics at discount prices to employees and I wanted to check that store out. Two birds with one stone? You bet!

I got a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, 10lbs of bow-tie pasta, a loaf of bread, 4 baking potatoes, and a bottle of water for $15! Now I didn't do a lot of shopping before I came down here but that seems like a pretty sweet deal for that amount of stuff. I was all excited to go home and cook some pasta! I haven't cooked any real dinner food since I've been here really and I was in the mood to do it last night. Upon my arrival I discover that 3.5 sticks of butter I bought had disappeared out of the fridge.

This really kinda put me into a funk, especially as roommate after roommate arrived home and knew nothing about what happened to it. Eventually I discovered that one of them thought it was his and took it to bake, which is fine but didn't help with my pasta problem. I decide I'm going to make an egg and put it on a sandwich. I know it sounds weird but I do it all the time and it's yummy. Problem is the pan is dirty and I don't have the supplies to clean it by hand because I have't replaced them because I haven't been paid. I decide to try to do it in a pot which fails miserably, I burn the egg, I burn the toast, and I just end up tossing it all in the sink.

I can't help but laugh at me from last night now. I let it get the best of me and I went to sleep pissed off because of it. It's a new day. I woke up, cleaned up the breakfast that the two gross ones left all over the place, and laughed as I realized that I know how parents feel...

Cheers,
David

ZEN Song of the day - Ten Thousand Words by The Avett Brothers

5 comments:

  1. As you know cooking eggs properly is an "art" and I know you have been trained in this area by the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I expect that you'll keep this in mind next time you're tempted to toss things in the sink. And i'm glad it was not a literal explosion. I thought perhaps you had a gas stove problem so I was quite relieved to read on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given that the same dirty roommates set off the smoke detector every morning when they cook I'd be really worried if we had a gas stove...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should give them some cooking and cleaning lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. when you had the pot you should have gone poached egg! also, i so called that someone took it elsewhere to bake..

    ReplyDelete